Sunday, November 20, 2011

"Crazy Stupid Love"

I recently took a chance on a movie I had heard mixed reviews about, “Crazy Stupid Love.” I chose the movie because, as everyone who watches movies knows, Emma Stone is a rising star and I have yet to see her in something that I didn’t like.  Some of my favorite Emma Stone movies are “The Help,” “Easy A” (if you haven’t seen this one you must check it out!) and “Zombieland.”  To pull a quote from “Crazy Stupid Love,” Emma Stone seems to be the “perfect combination of sexy and cute.”  I’m a chick, and I just adore her. 


               “Crazy Stupid Love” is about the ups and downs of finding, losing, and keeping love.  One of the main couples (Steve Carell and Julianne Moore) suffers through a spouse’s infidelity, a potential divorce, and what it really means to be able to stay in love with someone for decades and decades.  It reminds us, in hilarious ways, that love is something that has to be worked on continually.
 
 The movie also shows us that sometimes you have to take a chance on love, as Emma Stone's character eventually realizes.  It doesn't always show up when and where you expect it to, and a relationship that feels safe and secure won’t necessarily lead to ‘true happiness.'
 Lastly, the movie teaches us about perseverance.  If you believe in something, you cannot give up on it.  That is the overall theme of the movie.  It sounds cliché, but it is told in a way that made me laugh out loud many times, and I rarely do that.  It takes a lot to make me ‘lol.'  The funniest part of the movie is a culmination of part of what makes the movie so great: the story lines slowly weave themselves together more and more until they all finally converge in one surprising and hilarious scene.   
An all-star cast (and a shirtless Ryan Gosling) enhance the watchability of the movie, but rent it for the humor.  It is real life, dramatized in hysterical ways, which is exactly what I want in a movie.
I definitely give it :
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment