Sunday, October 16, 2011

1 NSAID b4 bed

Yesterday, October 15, 2011, was an absolutely gorgeous day in Kansas City.  The sun was shining and the air was cool and crisp.  It was exactly the kind of day that you want to gather with oh, say, 11,000 other people eager to work up a sweat and some sore muscles touring the downtown area by foot.

This was my third half marathon.  I have run the Waddell and Reed half marathon since 2009, and have loved it every time.  However, I have been injured the past two years after the run, and had to lay off running for about 6 months each time.  The first year it was my achilles tendon that troubled me; last year it was my iliotibial band.  This year I was determined to be injury free.

Around mile 8 I noticed that familiar, hateful ache on the outside of my left knee.  The iliotibial bandit was rearing his ugly head.  I slowed down a bit, and tried to focus on my form in an effort to thwart further injury.  I finished the race feeling good, no ache in my leg and a PR of 1:49:51.

But alas, as I sit here Sunday evening, I am sulking over not being able to do a cool down run today.  My attempted 4 miles was cut short at less than half a mile, and I sent myself back limping home.

So instead of running, I am icing, and stretching, and doing some iliotibial band (IT band for short) specific leg exercises.  I cannot be laid up again for 6 months with a bum leg.  I will simply not allow it.  Furthermore, I am already signed up for a 5k next weekend!  I am not sure how or why I have started to develop injuries after almost fifteen years of running, off and on, mostly on.  It's NOT because I am starting to get old, don't even think that!  I'm not even thirty yet!  And there are plenty of other runners that  never get injured!  There has to be a reason.  My focus is to find the reason and prevent it from ever happening. 

Alright I am off to stretch some more and down an NSAID before bed.  Hey, that was a rhyme!

I was Bib # 4168.  Race results at http://onlineraceresults.com/race/view_race.php?race_id=22380#racetop).

No comments:

Post a Comment